Goldendoodle Generations What does F1, F1b, Multigeneration really mean?
The F1 generation (first generation Goldendoodle with one 100% Poodle parent and a 100% Golden Retriever parent):
In this generation, about 50% of puppies are Wool/Fleece Coated (minimal to mild shedding) and about 50% have more of a hair coat or hair coat/fleece coat combination (with moderate to heavy shedding). Allie (mom) is an F1 and has a wool/fleece coat and is a mild shedder. Pard (dad) is a poodle and has the minimal shedding typical of a poodle.
The F1b generation (one parent is an F1 Goldendoodle and the other parent is a Poodle):
This is the most consistent generation across breeders and the most likely to produce puppies with minimal to mild shedding and more mild allergy symptoms. In this generation, around 80% or more of the puppies will have a wool coat with mild to minimal shedding. The remaining 20% of puppies usually have a wool/fleece coat and usually have mild shedding. In this generation, the texture of hair types is usually more consistently wool or fleece with their hair waviness ranging from straight to wavy. In rare cases, this generation can produce puppies that shed moderately.
This is usually used to refer to a breeding of two F1b or later generations. However, some breeders use it for any cross between two Goldendoodles. Since that means some breeders may be breeding two F1 Goldendoodles with moderate shedding, these puppies may shed like their Golden Retriever grandparents. However, here at Henson Acres, we only use this to refer to puppies from two F1b or later parents who both have mild to minimal shedding like a poodle. We genetically test our dogs through VetGen to make sure the parents in this generation have two copies of the low shedding gene ensuring that every puppy born has the low shedding and low allergy potential like the Poodle, but keeps the great personality like a Golden Retriever. This generation can also result in puppies with a variety of coats from wool or fleece with their hair waviness ranging from straight to wavy.
Goldendoodle Hair Types
There are three main types of coats in Goldendoodles:
Wool Coat: Soft to harsh texture that sheds very minimally and causes less allergic symptoms like a purebred Poodle.
Wool/Fleece Coated: Soft or silky texture that is between normal hair and the poodle coat. These dogs are generally minimal to mild shedders, but can shed moderately.
Hair Coat: Like the Golden Retriever, a soft straight hair that is moderate to heavy shedding.
While genetics are always a gamble, here are some generalities. You can have any hair type show up in any generation. But, generally, the more poodle blood, the less they will shed and the less of an allergic reaction. All dogs produce saliva, dander, and shed hair. It depends on the coat type and other factors how much shedding and how minimal the allergy symptoms. I do not guarantee your puppy will not shed, but here are some generalities.
All puppies of all breeds
All puppies will shed at various stages until their adult hair coat comes in around 6 months of age. While you can guess about how they will look as adults based on hair type as a puppy, you will not know their final hair type for sure until they're 6 months old or older.
While I cannot make guarantees, in Allie's April 2016 F1b Goldendoodle litter, 100% of her puppies had the poodle-type coats and shed very minimally like a poodle does.
All of our puppies are raised to be a part of a loving family. However, we also know that sometimes, family circumstances change. Sometimes, people have unexpected moves. Maybe you got your puppy with every intention of giving him or her extra attention and then work and life got busy. Because every puppy we raise is part of the family, if you ever can't take care of your puppy anymore, please let us know. We will gladly bring them back here until a new forever home can be found for them.
No puppy deserves to go to a shelter. They deserve a home. If they can't be at home with you anymore, we will give them a home until someone else can.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.